I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality.... I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word.
~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

God, Heaven, and Racism

Which one of these is not like the other...?

I've often been perplexed and frustrated by racial divisions in the Church.  I mean if God's people can't get along, where's the hope for the rest of the world?!  And I know many people in many churches who would swear up and down that they're not racist.  And that their church is open to anyone of any background or color.  That perhaps the church is segregated because it's a cultural thing or a comfort thing, not a racist thing.  But perhaps just being open and not racist isn't enough.  What if lack of unity in the Church and in our churches is preventing unity in our neighborhoods, cities, and nations?

This question also begs the question(s), is unity something we let happen or that we have to actively pursue?  How do we do that?  What does that look like in our lives and churches?  Does this require a proactive response from Me???  To these questions, I don't necessarily have an answer.  But I've seen and been a part of some great churches doing great things to knock down these racial divides.  In these churches I've had a little taste of Heaven on Earth and it's ... I can't even think of a word to accurately describe how great it is. 

So what stirred all these thoughts... I just came across a great article that ask, "How Long Will Sunday Stay Segregated?"
http://neuemagazine.com/digital-archives/issue-06-aprilmay-2011
You'll have to flip through the digital magazine to get to the article (on page 41), but it's worth it.  The author talks about this topic much more eloquently than I. 

As always, please feel free to leave me some feedback... your own thoughts, experiences, and wisdom are greatly desired!

1 comment:

  1. You're so right. I remember growing up in a "white" church, while across town was the "black" church. It was no different than the signs in stores, restaraunts and water fountains that segregated whites and blacks. I wondered why at the time. Have we come beyond this or do we tell ourselves we have?

    ReplyDelete